Friday, January 21, 2011

My Top 10 Romantic Comedies


Pretty Woman
When Harry Met Sally
Bridget Jones's Diary
Notting Hill
Sleepless in Seattle
My Best Friend's Wedding
Love Actually
Jerry Maguire
The Wedding Planner
Sweet Home Alabama

Honourable Mentions: How to Lose A Guy in 10 Days, Something's Gotta Give, Serendipity


So why did I pick these romantic comedies you might be asking?

Surely there are better one's than this, especially critically.
Yes there are!

These aren't even the highest grossing ten romantic comedies.
Right again!

And let's not forget, Annie Hall, It Happened One Night, Adam's Rib, The Philadelphia Story, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, and Moonstruck.
Yes, I know -- I love them too.

So why did I include the 'fluff' like The Wedding Planner, over a classic like Adam's Rib?
Well actually, maybe I need to rethink it.

But here's why I originally made the list I did.

Whenever I'm sitting around bored and flicking through the TV channels, and come across an old Romantic Comedy on TV (with commercials mind you!), these are the ones I will stop and watch. I've seen them over and over again. They get played repeatedly. And yet, when one of these comes on, I will sit and watch it yet again. Yes, even though I know what will happen. Yes, even though there are commercials! And yes, even though I could find a hundred better things to do with my time. And that, in itself is a BIG feat.

But the list isn't important anyway. What's important is why we love the Romantic Comedies that we do. And why will we watch them over and over and over again?

It's simple. Because we fall in love with the characters. They make us laugh. They make us cry. And even though we know it's coming, we can't help but want to stand up and cheer when they finally realize what we've known all along -- that they are perfect for each other. And that they belong together forever. We sit and watch and cheer them on. And we fall in love with the idea that love really can conquer all. And we know, that if the characters of our favorite Romantic Comedies can find the kind of knock-down, all-out, ride off into the sunset fairytale kind of love, then surely we can too.

And in the end, what is more important than love?

So even though the lists may change over the years. And even from day to day.
Romantic Comedies have stood the test of time because they make us fall in love. And even though other types of movies thrill and scare, and make us think -- in the end, what girl doesn't want to sit down on a Saturday night, with a big bowl of popcorn, and fall in love?

1 comment:

  1. ...oh...lisa...just a wonderful undertaking...congratulations! xo

    ReplyDelete